Skip to content Accessibility info

Mobile Equipment Insurance

Mobile Equipment Insurance

Property that is capable of moving under its own power presents a coverage problem, particularly when the property is capable of transporting persons or other property. Such property may either be a vehicle or a class called mobile equipment. Mobile equipment typically refers to equipment or machinery that is primarily designed for off-road use. The definition still applies when this type of property must cross a public road, or occasionally travel on public roads in order to get to a job site.

Mobile equipment also refers to:

  • any equipment or vehicles on crawler treads;
  • vehicles, whether self-propelled or not, maintained primarily to give mobility to permanently mounted equipment, such as power cranes, shovels, loaders, diggers, or drills; or road construction or resurfacing equipment such as graders, scrapers, or rollers
  • cherry pickers, scissors and other devices used to raise or lower workers
  • trailers that have been modified by contractors to haul permanently attached machinery and equipment, such as hot tar buckets or concrete mixers

This list is neither all inclusive or without exceptions. Property status as mobile equipment affects when and how such property is insured.

To find out more about the differences in coverage between property and mobile equipment, talk to your Bilz Representative.