Skip to content Accessibility info

Homeowner Insurance

from Bilz Insurance

Homeowner Insurance

One of the biggest mistakes people make is to base their home’s insurance value on its market value. The numbers are totally different. You need enough insurance to pay to rebuild your home if it is destroyed, which can be a lot less than its market value — especially in this depressed real estate market.

Deciding How Much Home Insurance is Enough

The agents at Bilz Insurance will work with you to estimate the replacement cost for your home and to adjust your policy limits from time to time as needed.

It is critical that you provide us with accurate, updated information about your home and contents. If your dwelling limit accurately reflects your home's true replacement cost, some insurance companies will pay more than the limit if a covered loss is greater than the limit on your policy. Ask us if Home Replacement Guarantee or Extended Dwelling Coverage is available in your state.

Once a review of your home and possessions indicates you are properly insured, it's a good idea to reexamine your home insurance policy coverages and limits from time to time, especially whenever you make additions or improvements to your home.

Be Sure You Have Enough Home Insurance

Here are some steps you can take to reduce the danger of being seriously underinsured:

  • Prepare your own worksheet - For $7.95, you can get a report with your home’s replacement cost estimate at This service accesses the same building-cost database that insurers use.
  • Call us - If you have questions or concerns about the limits in your homeowner insurance policy, ask us to show you how those amounts were calculated. This will also give you an opportunity to make us aware of any overlooked information.
  • Read your policy - Certain property, such as jewelry, and certain perils, such as earthquake or flood, are better insured separately. Knowing what is covered and for how much will help you insure properly. If there is anything in your insurance policy you don't understand, contact us and ask for an explanation.
  • Tell us about home remodeling projects - At each annual renewal of your home insurance policy, you receive a new Policy Declarations page showing limits of coverage and optional coverages. Review this information. If you do any significant remodeling to your home or add a family room, extra bedroom or bathroom, etc., tell us about these changes so your coverage limits can be adjusted to cover the improvement.
  • Consider whether your home insurance policy provides all the protection you need - Does it provide coverage for extra costs resulting from building code changes? Does it automatically increase coverage limits annually to keep pace with inflation? Does it provide additional funds if the cost of rebuilding your home exceeds the policy limits?
  • Find out if your homeowner insurance policy includes replacement cost coverage for contents - "Contents" includes clothing, furniture, appliances, and other personal property inside your home. If not, you can add it by endorsement. The cost is small, but the protection is invaluable. Replacement Cost Coverage pays for losses to your possessions at the cost of brand new items. Without this option, a covered loss to your personal possessions would be depreciated by their age and condition, reducing the size of your claim settlement.
  • Ask us about supplemental Kentucky inland marine insurance coverage - If you have an art collection, antique furniture, jewelry, or other valuable possessions, talk to us about supplemental coverages, such as fine arts or scheduled property endorsements to adequately protect your investment in these items. The cost is modest for the extra protection, and often the deductible is waived.
  • Prepare an home inventory of personal property items using your smart phone , update it periodically, and keep it in a safe place outside your home, such as a safe deposit box at your bank. Forward a copy to your Bilz Associate and we will retain a copy in your electronic file at Bilz! It will save you hours of time trying to list everything damaged or destroyed if you need to make a claim. It will also help ensure you don't forget some items. Bilz Insurance can advise you on ways to simplify the job of preparing a personal property inventory such as providing a detailed inventory worksehet or utilizing an app on your phone

Personal Umbrella Policies Offer Extra Protection

Besides making sure you have enough protection to cover possible damage to your own home and contents, you should also evaluate your exposure to liability risks. These types of claims result from damage to the property of another, or injury to a person, not a member of your household, for which you can be responsible. In recent years it has become common for homeowners to be sued for injuries or damages to others, even when there is no evidence of negligence by the homeowner. The reality today is if you have any appreciable assets, you are exposed to the risk of being sued. Even if you ultimately prevail in court, your legal fees and the months or years of worry and uncertainty can be a terrible burden on you and your family.

The Personal Liability coverage provided by your Kentucky homeowners policy usually provides a limit of $100,000 or $300,000. We recommend increasing this protection with a personal umbrella policy. Not only will it increase your personal liability, but also your auto liability. Limits are available from $1 million to $10 million and beyond. The cost of this coverage is usually very reasonable.